Sunday, May 7, 2017

Cherry Blossom Joy

The TARDIS (our Doctor Who-named rig) is parked next to a non-fruit-bearing cherry tree. It has become a special addition to our family, which includes golden finches, sparrows, woodpeckers, grosbeaks, crows, quail, blackbirds, blue jays, hummingbirds, towhees, doves, pigeons, and the occasional squirrel. At night it isn't all that uncommon to spy raccoons or skunks meandering about; and there is an epic owl that lives nearby, whose wingspan I estimate to be at least seven feet. Our cherry tree is aviary central, except that the birds aren't caged in any way. They are free to come and go as they please.

I'm to blame for the tree's popularity. I've got a regular feeder hanging from it, as well as a finch feeder, and a hanging bucket full of fresh water. Near the edge of the lot are two hummingbird feeders.

The tree provides wonderful shade, especially in the summer, when temperatures in this little river valley commonly soar into the 90s. In the spring, it's a spectacle, because it blossoms.

This past winter southwestern Oregon received over 100 inches of rainfall. That's the low estimate. The storms that blew through here were incredible and relentless.

The upshot is that everything is even greener than past springs; everything is more colorful. Flowers everywhere. And this tree ... my goodness. It bloomed in a big way.

I estimate something like four or even five tons of petals fell the past two weeks. They covered everything. Before they blew away, Kye went outside and photographed some of the pink petalfall.


Our picnic table bench, on which I've placed driftwood.


The planter on the opposite bench, and the grass beyond, all covered.
The heavy rainfall killed (I believe) the seedlings I planted a few weeks earlier.


For some reason, I occasionally find ropes of macrame abandoned along the road. When I do, I collect them and put them with the others, which I've tied to a branch. You can see two branches hanging heavy with blooms. Normally a good fifteen feet off the ground, the moisture makes the blossoms heavy, and the branches as a result have drooped almost to ground level a couple of times.


Another shot of recovered macrame ropes. The colors are true. In mid-day, the sun above, filtering through the blossoms, casts everything beneath it in a wonderful pink glow.


From the top of the picnic table. You're looking at the end of a two-by-four, and pots for plants.


I'm growing wild strawberries next to the tree. This photograph, of a strawberry leaf and fallen blossoms, I manipulated in PaintShop.


Another photo manipulation of blossoms on the table's top.

~~*~~
I hope you enjoyed the display!

~~*~~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.