As I have stated many (many) times before, I am a political animal.
But before the illegitimate "presidency" of Trump, I wasn't much of an involved political animal. Oh, I kept up with the news, and tied myself into a huge high-blood-pressure knot every day, but I didn't do anything much about the grotesque mendacity and maliciousness of the Republican Party except curse and swear at the TV or computer screen. That was pretty much it.
I have really put the focus on one of my daily guideposts this year:
I don't want to change the world, just my little corner of it.
The world's problems are simply too big to deal with in any effective manner. But my little corner of the world? That's a different issue entirely. And so I have kept my focus on my tiny little life and those near me whom I love and wish to protect--including Kye and the TARDIS and my plants and our nuggles. (What are "nuggles"? You'll have to get to know me a little before I trust you with that classified information.) It includes the birds and wildlife near our rig; the river; the cherry tree next to us, and, now, an abandoned cat we decided to adopt and name Stormageddon ("Swee"). As far as this blog goes, I want to provide my visitors with great fractals and excerpts and chapters and illustrations, so that when you leave it, you feel like your day has gotten a little better because you took the time to drop by. And as for my novels, poetry, and essays, I work as hard as I can every day to write the best and truest ones I'm capable of.
You get the picture.
As far as the living beings around me go, what can I do to protect them? What can I do to advocate for them? Often it isn't making a placard and marching up and down the street that helps; often it's writing Senators and Congresspersons, or signing petitions, or keeping up this blog, or writing essays, or refusing to tone down my stories, or take the edges off of them. No matter what the media tells you, the little things matter. They add up. They create momentum, and therefore the potential for real change.
As I've said also many times before, I endeavor not to be a mile wide and an inch deep, but an inch wide and a mile deep. I endeavor to be worthy of this astonishing corner of Oregon and all the life surrounding us here, and the clean, clear skies, and that majestic ocean, and the sacred quiet of the night, and the expansive freshness of the day. None of it belongs to me; I, instead, try to belong to it.
I try to be worthy of your attention and time.
We're approaching a year and a half into Trump's nightmare "presidency," and so I thought I'd share a list of the actions I have taken since his illegitimate election. It's by no means a complete list; I think getting up each morning and thrusting two middle fingers into the air before sitting down to write, and then writing with as much passion and energy as I can each day, are powerful, worthy actions in and of themselves. So too is keeping a level head, and taking care of myself, and meditating, and exercising, and getting good sleep each night, and being the best partner I can for Kye.
Again, the media and many around you will tell you such actions are meaningless and effect no change. They are wrong. They tell you that to keep you inert and depressed and immobile so that they can ground you into the dirt as they continue working at destroying the biosphere of this world utterly.
Think that's a bit over the top? Then you are, plainly and pathetically, blind, not to mention inured to the brainwashing. Go have a beer and turn on Survivor, because you're goddamn worthless.
For the rest of you, I hope this list will motivate you to start your own, and to band together, and to change your own little corners of the world. I wish you the very best in your efforts.
This is a full-on revolution, folks. Best that we come to grips with that, and then get out there and kick ass and take names.
Shawn's political actions thus far in this, the illegitimate "presidency" of Donald J. Trump, future convict and current traitor to the United States of America
(Updated the end of March 2018)
(Updated the end of March 2018)
1. Contacted McKays re: National Enquirer 12/23/16
2. Contacted Fred Myer re: National Enquirer: 12/23/16
3. Two essays written in the interim. (12/24)
4. Contacted Wyden again. (12/26)
5. Essay ("Sorry, World"); contacted DeFazio, Wyden; Sent DKos form letter against Sessions; donated $15 to ACLU: 1/29/17
6. Wrote Roseburg paper over hateful LTE; Essay ("If You Didn't Vote For Hillary, You Voted For Trump"); contacted DeFazio, Wyden. 2/5/17
7. Essay ("If You Didn't Vote For Hillary, You Voted For Trump Part II"). 2/12/17
8. Essay "Fifty Shades of Dictatorship," went to Wyden town hall. (2/18)
9. Contacted DeFazio, Wyden (gerrymandering). (2/25)
10. 3/2/17: Contacted DeFazio, Wyden re: Sessions the racist liar.
11. Wrote "Never, Ever Forget." Published G+, YouTube 3/5
12. Contacted DeFazio, Wyden over "Republicare." (3/8)
13. Served jury duty (3/13-14); signed up for DeFazio's newsletter, filled in survey (3/15)
14. Wrote subscribers about jury duty and why it's important; blogged it as well (3/15)
15. Wrote Senators Merkley and Wyden (3/20) re: Gorsuch's confirmation.
16. Wrote DeFazio re: voting NO on Trumpcare. (3/23)
17. Attended Senator Merkley's town hall. (3/26)
18. Wrote both senators re: filibustering Gorsuch's nomination. (3/28)
19. Wrote essay about Elway and Gorsuch on blog. (4/5)
20. Updated Trump site. (4/19)
21. Wrote Rep and Sens re: Russia and Trump. (4/24)
22. Wrote rep/sens re: ICE and deportations. (4/28)
23. Wrote essay, posted to blog: "Donald Trump Did Not Win the Election ..." (4/28)
24. Wrote essay, posted to blog on the evil actions of the Republican Party (5/4)
25. Contacted PETA 5/14 on thereabout over animal cruelty witnessed at the park (Manky and Bumblefuck destroying swallows' nest and killing chicks).
26. Gave PETA $25 5/14 or thereabouts.
27. Wrote and published on blog extemporaneous essay: "The Newest Big Thing." (5/25)
28. Signed Merkley's petition to Trump telling him not to abandon the Paris Agreement. (6/1)
29. Signed up to volunteer for writing tasks, etc., Curry Democrats. (6/15)
30. Wrote health-care story on Merkley's website; wrote essay about my actions thus far and posted to blog. (6/30)
31. Posted reminder essay that Hillary is the nation's true president. (7/6)
32. Filled out multiple Net Neutrality petitions. (7/13)
33. Reposted "Donald Trump Is Not My President" 7/17.
34. Wrote essay condemning McCain and Republicans re: ACA and their vote to kill it. 7/25.
35. Reposted rant re: Trump did not win election from late April. 7/27.
36. Essays posted on blog; will appear in new volume. (late July through September)
37. Contacted Rep and Senators re: Trump's decision to end DACA. (September)
38. Contact Senators re: Graham-Cassidy abomination September 20.
39. Contact rep and Senators re: Puerto Rico humanitarian assistance September 25.
40.Contact rep and Senators re: Trump sabotaging ACA September 30.
41.Contact rep and Senators re: Las Vegas gun massacre and inaction against NRA October 2
42.Posted rant on blog against NRA and those complicit with its evil October 3.
43. Edited and Reposted Trump essay on blog October 11.
44. Wrote and posted "This is a war" to blog October 15.
45. Signed Tom Steyer's impeachment petition and sent it to Jordan and Pea October 27.
46. Posted Tom Steyer's impeachment video to blog October 27.
47. Published My Rogue Mile November 1!
48. Wrote Rep and Senators re: Net Neutrality November 18.
49. Wrote blog post demanding readers sign Net Neutrality petition November 18.
50. Wrote blog post on the Second American Civil War November 30.
51. Posted Net Neutrality blog December 13.
52. Contacts Rep, Sens. about Net Neutrality being abolished December 14.
53. Posted letter I wrote to Hillary last year to blog December 15.
54. Contacts Rep, Sens. about Trump's plans to kill Mueller's investigation December 17.
55. Edited and reposted "A Hurricane Is Coming In 2018" December 31.
56. Posted essay (partially) re: political revolution coming December 31.
57. Contacted Rep, Sens. about Puerto Rico--again. January 8
58. Reposted "Donald Trump is Not My President" to blog January 8.
59. Wrote and posted "The Shadows of Lesser Men" on blog January 25.
60. Contacted Rep., Sens. about Trump's efforts to destroy investigation January 30
61. Contacted Rep., Sens. about the latest slaughter of Americans by a white supremacist, and their lack of action February 15.
62. Wrote and posted (to LinkedIn too) essay praising Emma Gonzalez, and condemning my PHS's 1980 graduates for their statistical support of Trump February 25.
63. Reposted letter I wrote to Hillary March 15.
64. Wrote Rep., Sens. about protecting Mueller against Trump March 20.
65. Posted protest blog re: March For Our Lives March 24; posted link to my classmates rant to Reddit March 23.
66. Wrote ABC about Roseanne Barr's defamation of David Hogg March 29.