Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 26, 2017

Changing My Little Corner of the World: The List of Actions I've Taken So Far In This, the Illegitimate "Presidency" of Donald Trump (Updated)


As I have stated many (many) times before, I am a political animal.

But before the illegitimate "presidency" of Trump, I wasn't much of an involved political animal. Oh, I kept up with the news, and tied myself into a huge high-blood-pressure knot every day, but I didn't do anything much about the grotesque mendacity and maliciousness of the Republican Party except curse and swear at the TV or computer screen. That was pretty much it.

I have really put the focus on one of my daily guideposts this year:

I don't want to change the world, just my little corner of it.

The world's problems are simply too big to deal with in any effective manner. But my little corner of the world? That's a different issue entirely. And so I have kept my focus on my tiny little life and those near me whom I love and wish to protect--which includes Kye and the TARDIS and my plants and our nuggles. (What are "nuggles"? You'll have to get to know me a little before I trust you with that classified information.) It includes the birds and wildlife near our rig; the river; the cherry tree next to us, and so on. As far as this blog goes, I want to provide my visitors with great fractals and excerpts and chapters and illustrations, so that when you leave it, you feel like your day has gotten a little better because you took the time to drop by. And as for my novels, poetry, and essays, I work as hard as I can every day to write the best and truest ones I'm capable of.

You get the picture.

As far as the living beings around me go, what can I do to protect them? What can I do to advocate for them? Often it isn't making a placard and marching up and down the street that helps; often it's writing Senators and Congresspersons, or signing petitions, or keeping up this blog, or writing essays, or refusing to tone down my stories, or take the edges off of them. No matter what the media tells you, the little things matter. They add up. They create momentum, and therefore the potential for change.

As I've said also many times before, I endeavor not to be a mile wide and an inch deep, but an inch wide and a mile deep. I endeavor to be worthy of this astonishing corner of Oregon and all the life surrounding us here, and the clean, clear skies, and that majestic ocean, and the sacred quiet of the night, and the expansive freshness of the day. None of it belongs to me; I, instead, try to belong to it.

I try to be worthy of your attention and time.

We're well more than half a year into Trump's nightmare "presidency," and so I thought I'd share a list of the actions I have taken during it. It's by no means a complete list; I think getting up each morning and thrusting two middle fingers into the air before sitting down to write, and then writing with as much passion and energy as I can each day, are powerful, worthy actions in and of themselves. So too is keeping a level head, and taking care of myself, and meditating, and exercising, and getting good sleep each night, and being the best partner I can for Kye.

Again, the media and many around you will tell you such actions are meaningless and effect no change. But they are wrong. They tell you that to keep you inert and depressed and immobile so that they can ground you into the dirt as they continue working at destroying the biosphere of this world utterly.

Think that's a bit over the top? Then you are, plainly and pathetically, blind, not to mention inured to the brainwashing. Go have a beer and turn on Survivor, because you're worthless.

For the rest of you, I hope this list will motivate you to start your own, and to band together, and to change your own little corners of the world. I wish you the very best in your efforts.

This is a revolution, folks. Best that we come to grips with that, and then get out there and kick ass and take names.

~~*~~

Shawn's political actions thus far in this, the illegitimate "presidency" of Donald J. Trump, future convict and current traitor to the United States of America
(Updated end of September 2017)

1. Contacted McKays re: National Enquirer 12/23/16
2. Contacted Fred Myer re: National Enquirer: 12/23/16
3. Two essays written in the interim. (12/24)
4. Contacted Wyden again. (12/26)
5. Essay ("Sorry, World"); contacted DeFazio, Wyden; Sent DKos form letter against Sessions; donated $15 to ACLU: 1/29/17
6. Wrote Roseburg paper over hateful LTE; Essay ("If You Didn't Vote For Hillary, You Voted For Trump"); contacted DeFazio, Wyden. 2/5/17
7. Essay ("If You Didn't Vote For Hillary, You Voted For Trump Part II"). 2/12/17
8. Essay "Fifty Shades of Dictatorship," went to Wyden town hall. (2/18)
9. Contacted DeFazio, Wyden (gerrymandering). (2/25)
10. 3/2/17: Contacted DeFazio, Wyden re: Sessions the racist liar.
11. Wrote "Never, Ever Forget." Published G+, YouTube 3/5
12. Contacted DeFazio, Wyden over "Republicare." (3/8)
13. Served jury duty (3/13-14); signed up for DeFazio's newsletter, filled in survey (3/15)
14. Wrote subscribers about jury duty and why it's important; blogged it as well (3/15)
15. Wrote Senators Merkley and Wyden (3/20) re: Gorsuch's confirmation.
16. Wrote DeFazio re: voting NO on Trumpcare. (3/23)
17. Attended Senator Merkley's town hall. (3/26)
18. Wrote both senators re: filibustering Gorsuch's nomination. (3/28)
19. Wrote essay about Elway and Gorsuch on blog. (4/5)
20. Updated Trump site. (4/19)
21. Wrote Rep and Sens re: Russia and Trump. (4/24)
22. Wrote rep/sens re: ICE and deportations. (4/28)
23. Wrote essay, posted to blog: "Donald Trump Did Not Win the Election ..." (4/28)
24. Wrote essay, posted to blog on the evil actions of the Republican Party (5/4)
25. Contacted PETA 5/14 on thereabout over animal cruelty witnessed at the park (Manky and Bumblefuck destroying swallows' nest and killing chicks).
26. Gave PETA $25 5/14 or thereabouts.
27. Wrote and published on blog extemporaneous essay: "The Newest Big Thing." (5/25)
28. Signed Merkley's petition to Trump telling him not to abandon the Paris Agreement. (6/1)
29. Signed up to volunteer for writing tasks, etc., Curry Democrats. (6/15)
30. Wrote health-care story on Merkley's website; wrote essay about my actions thus far and posted to blog. (6/30)
31. Posted reminder essay that Hillary is the nation's true president. (7/6)
32. Filled out multiple Net Neutrality petitions. (7/13)
33. Reposted "Donald Trump Is Not My President" 7/17.
34. Wrote essay condemning McCain and Republicans re: ACA and their vote to kill it. 7/25.
35. Reposted rant re: Trump did not win election from late April. 7/27.
36. Essays posted on blog; will appear in new volume. (late July through September)
37. Contacted Rep and Senators re: Trump's decision to end DACA. (September)
38. Contact Senators re: Graham-Cassidy abomination September 20.
39. Contact rep and Senators re: Puerto Rico humanitarian assistance September 25.
40. (Coming soon!)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.